Sign up to my Newsletter!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Op shop treasures!

Truth is...I'm supposed to be writing another post right now about the amazing weekend of painting and discovering we just shared with the beautiful Miss Flora Bowley....will definitely be doing that sometime over the weekend but its going to be a long one..so much to say and show...so stay posted!! In the meantime just had to share my op shop finds from yesterday. Finished work and am officially on 2 and a half weeks holiday....so where is the first place I head? The local op shop of course! For all my O/S friends the "op-shop" in Australia is short for Opportunity Shop (don't you just love that?!) and is roughly equivalent to the American thrift store. So I take 2 steps into the shop and run headlong into my friend Pam who says " Tracy! I have something for you!!" (ooooh a surprise! I love surprises!) So Pam has been carrying around a gorgeous basket in her car, hoping to run into me.Her mum purchased it in Mexico sometime in the fifties and Pam wanted to give it to someone who would appreciate it..she was a little worried I might find it a bit kitschy but no way...I love it!!!

Thank you so much for thinking of me Pam! So after I tucked my beautiful new/old basket in the car I headed back inside and came across some vintage curtains (circa 1970) all orange and olive with gorgeous designs..had to have those! This morning I cut them up for my kids workshop next week in which we will be making gratitude flags.....did I mention I LOVE the Op shop!!


Back later with all the exciting Flora workshop news! have a blissful day my bloggy(what a weird word!) friends.....

hasta luego

Tracy xo

8 comments:

cri-cri said...

wow what nice finfs and I like the fabrics of the curtains...wish you a wonderful weekend !

Tracy Verdugo said...

Isn't it funny how it all comes around again? I would have thought these were hideous if i had found them in my mums cupboard in the 80's...hope you have a great weekend as well..I've been painting all day..bliss!

Jenny McIntosh said...

Great find Trace... look forward to hearing/seeing what you got up to at Flora's workshop. I've seen a few things on fb and what I've seen is awesome! I've been painting all day too.... for vsw14... assessment due Monday....! Happy painting... Jenx

Kathy said...

I like having things from the past. It gives me a history!
What exactly are gratitude flags?

Lille Diane said...

I feel we have so much in common, Tracy, and I feel a true connection to you. It's a pleasure to meet you. Art has healed my life. Music reminds me I'm alive. I've been writing music since age 13. I married my soulmate, and together we embrace the future with a desire to help others. May I call you sister??? <3 <3 <3

Tracy Verdugo said...

Hi Jen...good for you...I've been avoiding Uni work so must get stuck into it beginning today..will let you know when I have time for a cuppa..lots to tell xo

Tracy Verdugo said...

Hi Kathy...me too...I love thinking about where these might have been hanging 4o years ago and how next week they are going to be used to provide inspiration for kids. I am using the concept of Tibetan Prayer flags for my Gratitude workshop. The idea is for the kids to rhink about all the things they are grateful for and create mixed media flags to symbolise these things..when the flags are hung the wind is said to carry all of the prayers and gratitude out into the community..you can see some beautiful ones here at Amy's blog http://fromsundaytomonday.blogspot.com/2010/04/our-artfest-fun.html

Tracy Verdugo said...

Hi Lille...so lovely to meet you here as well. I was listening to your music yesterday and you have a beautiful voice. I do a version of Somewhere over the Rainbow as well....such a gorgeous song.I see we do have a lot in common and I look forward to getting to know you better...love and peace from Australia xox