“What I really, really want is to paint the world in rainbows of possibility” ~Tracy Verdugo

Friday, August 26, 2011

A quiet place for the eye to rest...



I remember years ago my art teacher telling me it was important to have resting place in your art...I think her exact words were " a quiet place for the eye to rest". Lately my works have been soooooo vibrant, sooooooo full of layers and energy and I've been loving it...BUT....yesterday I was feeling a little tired and overwhelmed...pushing through I decided that instead of laying down for a nap I would head into my studio and see if I could find something there to nurture my spirit.... a big bottle of white paint was sitting in the middle of my table so I reached for it, took a deep breath and gave myself permission to play, to not worry about outcome, to not care that I have never really experimented with putting white over bold colour before, to KNOW that it didnt really matter what happened..it was pure delicious PLAY!
What did happen amazed me and it actually feels like a giant epiphany for me...I can hardly wait to get back out to the studio today! Wishing you all beautiful breakthroughs in your art and life today ♥
ps a BIG thank you to my gorgeous friend Jeniffer Hutchins who featured me this week on her Inspiring Artist blog! xoxoxox

Stages of a painting.....


beginnings.....


playing with symbols........


adding more drips and colour!

and more cos I'm really not sure where I'm going with it....turning it around to look at it from different angles...walking away for a week or two!


"Unspoken Words" Acrylic on canvas 45x90cm $700
Coming back with fresh eyes and a playful spirit ♥

11 comments:

trudi@maudeandme said...

And what a great decision to go into your studio that was! To me it is like new ideas floating and brewing harmoniously, ready to take flight when called.
But hey I just love it - light and joyful.
I like that header too.

Glycérine said...

wonderful !!! I do love it !

Sweetest in the Gale said...

I'm so happy I discovered your blog...your work is beautiful. I love this latest piece - it does have a calming effect. It reminds me of an oceanic kaleidoscope.

~Rasz~ said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog so I could find you :) What a great place you have here and your artwork is simply incredible...the colors, the movement, the flow...and this one is definitely a "quiet place for the eye to rest".

ArtfulLee Designed said...

I'm glad you went back into that studio. I just really love this look with the white over the top, something I never think to do. I usually paint really bright and then wish I could tone it down a bit. This is perfect! I love everything about it.
Lee:)

Sarah Anderson said...

This is STuNNiNG! I spotted this piece whilst blog hopping and just loved it. I love the number of small details that draw your eye :)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Really inspired by this piece Tracy. It's absolutely beautiful. You are a very brave artist me thinks. Have a gorgeous weekend.

Magda Polakow said...

Hello,
Love your work! I will stay here a little longer :)
Have a nice weekend!

Clare said...

A quiet place to rest the eye - it makes perfect sense that one should have this in an art work, what a wise art teacher you had. I love this art work - with it spaces, its moments between the colour, the vibrancy of the patterns. Your work creates in me a mood of meditative contemplation, even though it is filled with colour and drama, there is a quality about it or perhaps an energy that makes me want to think about good things, peace and kindness, to slow down. It works because it creates emotion - wonderful stuff.

creativelyfit said...

Thank you so much for the step by step images! I love sharing the evolution of a painting...it makes the process so much more real. I also talk about paintings needing a place to rest--just like we do! Ole'!

Painting Herself Into Being said...

I am completely and utterly head over heels in love with your paintings. Like a school-girl crush. Such beauty and joy and playfulness. Thank you for all you do :) And thank you for sharing your process. As an aspiring artist I love getting a peek into how you work.

Blesssings,
Sheri Ponzi
http://www.paintingherselfintobeing.wordpress.com