Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I think I'm in love...with coloured inks!

A Breath of Spring~ ink, acrylic and sun dye on watercolour paper by Tracy Verdugo

Blogtoberfest Day 4!!

Browsing around on
Pinterest this morning I came across a beautiful image by extraordinary artist Elizabeth Terhune. Her work is exquisite whether she's working in oils or inks! I love the fluidity and transparent qualities of ink and have often used black or sepia in my sketches playing with tonal qualities through washes and experimenting with line by using different implements to make experimental marks. Occasionally I've used coloured inks for drawn lines or accents on a painting but until today I hadn't experimented with them in the same way as I had with the blacks and sepias.


An Element of Surprise~ Ink, sun dye and acrylic on paper by Tracy Verdugo

Not having a huge range of colours I pulled out some sun dyes and a pthalo turquoise golden fluid acrylic as well and began to play! Oh how much fun did I have!


This Quiet Path~ ink, sun dye and acrylic on paper by Tracy Verdugo

There are some tricks to this and not everything was a keeper but the beauty of working on paper is that you can find the parts that are working, crop in on them and discard the rest!


The Earth Laughs in Flowers Ink, sun dye and acrylic on paper by Tracy Verdugo

Thanks to Elizabeth for the inspiration to pull out my inks and spend some time exploring...hope this post inspires all of you to do the same xox
love Tracy ♥♥♥

19 comments:

Johoanna Robson said...

Oh Tracy! Wow! Love the last one ~ for truly the earth does laugh in flowers <3 Sending you love and hugs <3

Dosfishes at Sparkle Days Studios said...

I had a chance to play with them recently too at a workshop and they are addicting. Lovely work. xox Corrime

rachel awes said...

these are INSPIRED.
yesssssssssss. greeeeeen light.
GO. (or should i say, stay!).
love these, friend. XOX

spaark said...

I quite like having you in my inbox every morning..a bit of inspiration with my morning coffee! I am loving those inks and your work with them...I love the softness and shades. What brand are you using and what is sun dye?
Thanks! julie

Purpletreebird said...

I adore coloured inks! I love the way they run and slash together. I was using them just yesterday but got so carried away I ended up with a very big mess! I love your fluid sketches, so lively and bright. :)
Jess xx

505whimsygirl said...

Just love the last piece of art. Yes, the earth does laugh in flowers!

Thank you for sharing your talents with us!!!!

Nessa Pretty Days said...

wonderful

Michele said...

Wow. Yes, love them all but especially the last!

Michele ( Fellow blogtoberfestee :))

Coleen said...

I like what you did with these Tracy. Nice play between the colors and black ink. I'm following your blog now. Sure hope you'll consider following mine back. Makes it easy for me to find and not lose track of you. I'm from the "Magical" group.

Coleen in Ukraine

www.vintageterrace2.blogspot.com

Glycérine said...

really beautiful !

cri-cri said...

I like the first one a lot ...great !

kristen said...

Yes ! Inks are easy to fall in love with. I love hoe they behave like a watercolor and dry like an acylic! Your paintings are delicious! Xokp

ArtfulLee Designed said...

wow I really like these Tracey, so free flowing and colourful.
Lee:)

amy said...

*grumbles* how did i miss the whole entire giveaway????'

xx
a

Tracy Verdugo said...

Will have another giveaway soon Amy :) Thanks everyone..hope you're all having a blissfully creative week! x

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Gorgeous Tracy. I think the inks definitely suit you.

paula said...

Beautiful! I have some colored inks that I need to get out and start having fun with. Keep up the good work!
Paula

Jeniffer Hutchins said...

These are beautiful Tracy! The fluidity of the inks gives the paintings so much movement.

Also love your titles!

Susana Tavares said...

Yes I am in love with inks too :)
wonderful work!!!