Sunday, April 8, 2012
This is me ♥
Hello lovely friends,creatives and passersby!
Its Easter Holidays here in Australia which means I get a whole two weeks off work to indulge in all of my passions!
Yesterday I spent some time painting and now have one large work in progress....
and a few of these little fun ones that I am playing with!
I'm also still working on the large demo painting I began at my very first Paint Mojo workshop last month.
I'd like to be able to finish a whole painting in a weekend by the time I come to teach my workshops in the U.S this Fall but I get so distracted by all of my wonderful students its hard to focus back in on what I am creating :)Here are some little snippets of my demo painting...
when its finished I'll tell you the story behind it and how it came to me during the workshop....
One of the things I'm excited to be catching up on are the online courses that I am currently enrolled in.
"Hello Soul Hello Business" with Kelly Rae Roberts and Beth Nicholls has been absolutely amazing and I have gained a wealth of information as well as connected with an incredible community of other creatives seeking to imbue their businesses with soul, meaning and connection.
I have also just begun "Teach Now" with Jen Louden and Michele Christensen.
So far I have been blown away by the candid interviews with a multitude of incredible teachers,
discovered that I am a "storyteller"(how did I not know that!) and learned that its absolutely okay to not be perfect
and to not have all of the answers all of the time...some huge aha moments here!
While I was in Thailand ( and yes I do know I still owe you all my official Thailand adventure blog...forgive me, it seems so BIG...maybe I should do some bite size posts :))I also took Vivienne McMasters gorgeous online workshop "You are Your Own Muse" in which she encourages us to explore our own individuality and essence of beauty through photography self portraiture.
I took the course along with my gorgeous 18 year old daughter Santana and we are doing the lessons in our own time with the downloadable PDF's.
Vivienne's video below is absolutely breathtaking and I encourage you to head over to her website to see all the beauty she has to offer the world!
Today I'd like to share with you a few of my self portraits inspired by Vivienne's workshop
as well as some others that I made last year whilst working on a body of work for my degree in Fine Arts.
While I'm putting myself out there I thought I'd also give you a few facts about me that you probably didn't know.
I first came across this idea when my friend Lisa Sonora Beam
did the same on her blog and I totally connected and resonated with her on soooo many levels.......
out of that one accidental connection a friendship has bloomed
and I hope to catch up with Lisa in Oaxaca this year while I am in the U.S and Mexico teaching...
so here goes......
1. I sometimes speak in other accents just for fun. Our girls loved it when they were small, then they were annoyed by it ( early teen rolling eyes stage!), now ve all do eet togezer!
2. I can't sleep on my back because I will usually wake myself up with a snort!
3. I LOVE to cook but often find it frustrating to come up with meals for one vegetarian, one who eats chicken but no seafood or red meat and one who eats everything but red meat. me, I'll eat anything except offal...blech!
4. I could live in a library! Well, maybe not but I do get excited at the thought of entering them. When I am in Portland visiting family I could pretty much set up camp in Powells City of Books!
5.I am a chronic multitasker. I am often working on five different things at a time (including dishes) flitting from one task to another. My husband is the most focused person I know. I drive him crazy!
6.I talk to butterflies, flowers, animals, leaves, clouds etc. I tend to get along well with others who do the same :)
7.My emotions are directly linked to my stomach. I deal with horrible IBS when I am anxious or stressed. I am working on being less anxious and stressed.
8.I had a hospital birth with our firstborn and a planned home birth with our second. Both were awesome experiences! Being a mum is the BEST thing in my life!
9. I am a scaredy cat when it comes to adventure sports. Sky diving, bungy jumping, kite surfing, rock climbing DO NOT appeal to me. AT ALL. Marco on the other hand is addicted to ADRENALIN!!
10. Traveling fulfills me in a million different ways. I LOVE to immerse myself in other cultures and have vivid memories of myself as a child spending many hours reading a large old book called "People of the World" It was filled with astounding full page black and white images of people with strange hair, bones through their noses, painted skin and piercing eyes. I wanted to meet them all!
11. I have always lived near the ocean. Once, for a year, we rented a house in the country, 25 minutes drive to the sea. I felt lost in that house.
12.I don't dust and I'm not a fan of housework in general. I'd much rather be painting!
13. I have suffered from terrible panic attacks in the past which is probably why adrenalin is not a good feeling for me. I feel like I am on top of it now and have learned many ways to deal with it. It is a horrible, horrible thing to deal with.
14. On my wedding day in 1987 I had a tragic mullet accompanied by a french braid and dangling pearls on my forehead...no I am NOT going to show you a picture of that! This year for our 25th wedding anniversary Marco and I are going to meet in Taos, New Mexico for a romantic rendez-vous......my goal is to have GOOD hair!
15. I am known for singing the wrong words to songs!
16. I consider Mexico my second home. Marco spent much of his early childhood with his abuelita there and something in me comes alive when we visit ♥
17. When I was 12 a voice inside told me that one day I would write a book. I remember stopping right in the middle of the street and answering back "I cant write a book! My life is too ordinary" Today I KNOW my life is definitely not ordinary and there is more than one book formulating in my mind.
18. I went to my first art class when I was 33. I never took art in school and considered it to be some magcal talent that only a very few were born with....I know different now :)
19. When I was pregnant with our first born Marco gave me the encouragement to let the world hear me sing. I performed our first gig 8 months pregnant with my midwife in the audience. Since then we have released 3 Cd's and are wrapping up our 4th now.
20.I do not support the Australian governments policy on refugees and would gladly host incoming refugees in our home as they transitioned into a new culture. if only there were such a programme!
21.I have never really traveled alone, besides a short trip here and there. This year when I come to the States and Mexico to teach I will be flying around the country by myself. I feel like a BIG adventure is coming!
22.I speak fairly good Spanish and I know a lot of swear words courtesy of the young surfer boys in Pascuales who taught me what I thought was colloquial language for several weeks until Marco finally walked past me cursing out someones mother and had to pull me aside...those boys were rolling on the ground laughing!
23. I believe in miracles and that our thoughts create our reality.
24. I used to be my own worst critic but I have learned to just give myself a break :)
25. I like to have a glass of wine while I'm cooking dinner and will often burst into song with lyrics such as "The Hills are alive with the Sound of Music" or "Ay, ay, ay, ay canta no llores" or "When the sun hits your eye like a big piece of pie thats amore!" Yes I include the accent and no I probably wouldn't do that at your house.
26. I consider myself an introvert/extrovert and generally respond to those around me. After a whole bunch of excitement I need some quiet time. My perfect career would be to spend half the year alone painting and half the year with my creative tribe teaching and exhibiting.
27. I often fantasize about selling up (getting rid of mortgage!) and moving to a shack on the beach in Mexico.
28. When I learn something new that excites me the first thing I want to do is run out and share it with others...this is how I know that teaching is my calling.
29. I found out I was adopted when I was 29. I love my mum and dad and my biological mum too. I will probably never seek out my biological dad.
30. I get to work 4 days a week with the most gorgeous, challenging and interesting kids in special ed and the funniest, warmest staff ever!
Posted by Tracy Verdugo at 10:55 PM