Sign up to my Newsletter!

Saturday, June 2, 2012

from inspiration to (almost) finished painting!



I've been thinking a lot lately about words,
beautiful words,
evocative words,
words that move me,

words I could just roll around on my tongue a while.....


I often include words in my paintings but lately
as I venture more into the world of abstract
I've been thinking about the power of creativity
words, art, music,
to really MOVE us
get us unstuck
away from stagnation

flowing in the direction of our highest

shiniest self......


here is the unfolding of my latest painting
inspired by these lush words
from Michael Oondatje...

a work in progress

just like me and you ♥


“Everything is biographical, Lucian Freud says. What we make, why it is made, how we draw a dog, who it is we are drawn to, why we cannot forget. Everything is collage, even genetics. There is the hidden presence of others in us, even those we have known briefly. We contain them for the rest of our lives, at every border we cross.”

― Michael Ondaatje



On a large canvas I used a caulking gun and builders caulking to “write” some text from the Michael Oondatje quote. Fragments of maps, text from old books and photos from National geographic were collaged between the words representing our collective memories and the landscapes which these create within humanity. Golden Fluid acrylics were used to add the first layer of colour.



My initial application of paint is sprayed with water and I engage with the paint by tilting the canvas or dipping my fingers in it to create finger print marks, a sense of putting myself into the picture



The addition of further layers of paint adds depth and text dissolves into texture, connections and links are created, boundaries and intersections occur spontaneously, forms are hidden and new ones emerge.

What a wondrous thing it is to lose your self in creating.....



Fragments of the larger work give me inspiration for future works.

My wish is always to inspire you to find your true colours........here's hoping that I have shone a little light of inspiration your way today!

lots of love Tracy xo

♥♥♥


“We die containing a richness of lovers and tribes, tastes we have swallowed, bodies we have plunged into and swum up as if rivers of wisdom, characters we have climbed into as if trees, fears we have hidden in as if caves.

I wish for all this to be marked on by body when I am dead. I believe in such cartography - to be marked by nature, not just to label ourselves on a map like the names of rich men and women on buildings. We are communal histories, communal books. We are not owned or monogamous in our taste or experience.”

― Michael Ondaatje, The English Patient

ps I found the lovely hand image at the top on Facebook. Unfortunately there was no linkback. If anyone knows who the artist may be could you please let me know so I can add the link love ♥

13 comments:

MarleneMAZ said...

Wow! I love how this evolved. I am really looking forward to taking your class in CA.

Laura said...

so cool, thanks for sharing. I am hoping to attend your workshop this november in florida!

Shelly Penko said...

I loved reading about and seeing your process...thank you so much for sharing. Your work is wonderful! ♥

Shells said...

Beautiful, love seeing the process, thank you for sharing this.

Creatively yours Fi said...

Wonderful quotes so life giving :) You are such a natural with colours Tracy! I really love this painting at it's middle phase, the stripes, dots and textures are so vibrant!

Introverted Art said...

Tracy, it looks so beautiful and full of meaning. I love how the words blend with the images in a perfect dance.

Jo Murray said...

A beautiful multi-layered piece, Tracy. I too love taking snippets of larger works to kickoff new paintings.

cookievf said...

The texture of the words add such excitement! Lovely to witness the unfolding, thank you!

~ vicki xo

Sherri B. said...

Incredible - I love it!!

IndigoEarth said...

Love this Tracy!

aishaladon said...

This is sooo amazing and so simple, yet so beautiful. I always wondered about your abstract process. Love it, and thanks for taking the time to share.

Aisha

kae pea said...

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing . I think the hand image might be attributed to Erica Herbert but I'm not positive....

whyducks said...

Oh that is lovely!