Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sweet morning song!

“I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.” ~Rumi

 

I'm sitting here in the sunroom answering emails and messages, talking to friends across the world and listening to the sounds of currawongs and lorikeets. Sometimes the kookaburras join in too but this morning they are absent. We have so many beautiful birds in Australia and I try not to take them for granted.

 

Click here to hear the birds singing


The shy little whip bird that hops around the shrubbery, the tiny finches that flit from the mulberry tree to the pineapple sage gathering sweetness. The cocky wattlebird that sends out warning signals every time the cats come near, ruffling up his feathers and declaring "How dare you! This is my yard!" before swooping them.
The diminutive but handsome willy wagtail sitting on the fence shaking his butt...the list goes on and on!
It seems that I have been drawn to birds in art forever! 

Long before I ever put paint on paper, way back when Marco and I were new romancers in 1985 we bought our first piece of art together in San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico. A beautiful woodblock print titled Exprisionera, it shows a bird breaking free of its boundaries,

 a beautiful metaphor for life it hangs in our kitchen and reminds us each day that we are far more than our self imposed beliefs

 

Birds have appeared in so many of my paintings since I first began my art journey at the start of the new millenia...

 

2002

 

2004



 2006-2008 birds appear everywhere in my Tree of Life and Garden of delights series


2006 more birdies in a series of colourful foam core prints



2009 inspiration from our trip to Mexico


from 2010 on birds continue to appear in my paintings! Can you find the little bird in the last one?

 

“I pray to the birds because they remind me of what I love rather than what I fear. And at the end of my prayers, they teach me how to listen.” ~Terry Tempest Williams

 

wishing you all an extraordinary week filled with birdsong and inspiration 

lots of love

Tracy ♥♥♥


8 comments:

Shells said...

Beautiful blog post - I love hearing the magpies and kookaburras.

Sherri B. said...

Birds are such beautiful creatures...I enjoyed seeing how your artwork has evolved! (and that the lovely birds have remained throughout)

Shelly Penko said...

So much fun hearing the birds you are listening to! And seeing all the birds in your work. I love birds too...there is something magical about them somehow. :)

Lucy Chen said...

Birds are so free and beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Tracy, I have begun reading Eckhart Tolle s A New Earth and he talks about birds having held special significance for the human spirit. (Since time immemorial) A wonderful reflection x Fi

Laura Fraedrich said...

I love them all, but the one of the cat at the bottom really speaks to me! And yes, I found the bird...

bronnyk said...

I could listen to birds all day..... not crows though LOL

Odd Chick said...

That was so fun! I can't believe I can hear the birds chirp in Australia sitting here in New Mexico! And then to have a tour of all your interesting bird art- your blog was a real treat for my eyes and ears!